Dallin Seely from YouTube channel @TheDashleys grew up as a multigenerational Mormon. When he was seven years old, his father passed away from stomach cancer. Despite this tragedy, the church provided a lot of support to him and his family. The early death of his father leads Dallin to experience intense scrupulosity as he worries that he will never see his father again in heaven if he isn’t “worthy” according to LDS Standards. A strict Bishop exacerbates Dallin’s scrupulosity but is somewhat alleviated when a new bishop tells him that his worthiness was not determined by others. When he came home from his mission, he was encouraged to get married, but he continued to have doubts about the church’s teachings, such as the priesthood ban for black members.
Dallin felt the Holy Ghost told him to marry a certain woman, but he falls in love with Ashley, another faithful woman but who seems a bit less “proper” to Dallin for things like expressing humor through sarcasm. Dallin follows his own heart and marries Ashley anyway. The couple deals with the church’s inherent sexism, including in the temple and the teaching of “the patriarchal order” in the Mormon church. Continuous marriage struggles lead them to seek therapy. This led to the healthiest time in their marriage, as they were able to have emotional intimacy and talk about their feelings, including Ashley’s feelings about General Conferences and sexism. They did not want to teach their daughter to feel inferior to men. Dallin and Ashley tell how they learned to embrace their true selves and how they are raising their children in a way that eliminates guilt and fear.
Thedashleys (@thedashleys) | TikTok
The Dashleys (@thedashleys) • Instagram photos and videos
Mormon Stories Thanks Our Generous Donors!
Help us continue to deliver quality content by becoming a donor today:
PO Box 171085, Salt Lake City, UT 84117
Mormon Stories Related Content:
- 904: Dr. Bart Ehrman – New Testament Scholar
- 877-880: Brooke Bonham Miller and Josh Miller – Seeking Support from Spencer Fluhman and the Maxwell Institute in a Faith Crisis
- 1403: Chelsea and Nick Homer – Finding Community Outside of Mormonism
- 1698-1699: Losing Faith as a BYU Professor – Louisa Killian
- 551: Lindsay Hansen Park’s Year of Polygamy
- 557: Dr. Dave Christian on Epistemology and Orson Wright, the Polygamous Mission President
- 1386: The Miracle of Forgiveness: Why It Should be Removed from Deseret Book, and How You Can Help
- How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence | Michael Pollen
- Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling | Richard Bushman
- Sacred Symbols: Finding Meaning in Rites, Rituals and Ordinances | Alonzo L. Gaskill
- Odds Are You’re Going to Be Exalted: Evidence That the Plan of Salvation Works | Alonzo L. Gaskill
Leave A Comment