In my opinion, one of the most damaging books ever published by the Mormon Church is Spencer W. Kimball’s “The Miracle of Forgiveness.” Among other things, this book teaches that:
- No young Mormon man or woman is worthy to go on a mission if they masturbate.
- Masturbation alone leads to masturbation with others, which leads to “homosexuality.”
- Being gay or lesbian is “ugly,” “repugnant,” and comparable to a disease.
- “Homosexuality” leads to bestiality.
- “Homosexuality” can be easily “cured.”
- People who have pre-marital sex, and even rape victims, are “blighted” and “scarred.”
- It is far better to die than to lose one’s “virtue.”
- Death by suicide is a sign of foolishness, faithlessness and/or weakness and/or sin.
To be clear, this book is currently sold at Deseret Book, and remains on the book shelves of hundreds of thousands of Mormons across the world.
In this short presentation, I offer my brief argument for why I believe that “The Miracle of Forgiveness” should be removed from Deseret Book, and I let listeners and viewers know what they can do to help. I also share my thoughts on what the Mormon Church can do to help “atone” for selling this damaging book for several decades.
How You Can Help:
- Share this Presentation.
- Email Deseret Book:
- Call Deseret Book
- 1-800-453-4532 (Toll-Free US and Canada)
- 1-801-517-3369 (International)
- Speak to any influencers you know.
- Do what you can to remove this book from the access of people who might be vulnerable (book shelves, etc.).
- Please share with me/us what you did, and the reactions.
- Remember the date: 1/18/2021.
- Monitor deseretbook.com for when they take the book down.
- I will throw a party when it’s gone (likely this summer post-COVID)
P.S. This is a re-recording to make the video less “ranty,” and to remove the discussion of book bans and book burnings, which is not useful. HUGE thanks to everyone who gave feedback on this. I always want to be a constructive voice.