John Dehlin has never been so lucky!
He’s joined today by the folks who have been dubbed “The Britvengers”, a collection of progressive and post Mormons who all have one thing in common, they’re British!
They will be discussing what is being called “The British Rescue”. On Halloween Weekend 3 Senior Apostles are coming and addressing the UK membership. Is this a rescue?
The Britvengers are:
- Nemo the Mormon https://www.youtube.com/c/NEMOTHEMORMON
- Peter Bleakley https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNYIeulcLs85NLINDyxzHQQ
- 21st Century Saints https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLESyNtVAdYF52HVt5Cu-Ew
- Laura & Julian Heath https://www.facebook.com/groups/143828186747679
- Priesthood Dispatches https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx5yNRufseSR_JxYC8GJ2iA
We are 100% donor funded! Please click HERE to donate and keep this content coming!
- 21st Century Saints Podcast
- 21st Century Saints’ interview with John Dehlin
- Mormon Civil War Podcast
- Sunstone UK
- Priesthood Dispatches blog and podcast
- Nemo the Mormon Podcast
- Zelph on the Shelf
- “Remembering the Swedish Rescue” on Mormon Stories
- Mormon Stories’ interview with Douglas Stilgoe
- Mormon Stories’ interview with Tom Phillips about the Second Anointing
- “Leaders and Managers,” Address by Hugh Nibley at BYU in 1983
Timecodes (for video):
00:00:00 Introductions and opening remarks
00:18:42 In October, M. Russell Ballard, Jeffrey R. Holland, and Quentin L. Cook visited the UK, comparable to the 2010 “Swedish Rescue,” when Church authorities visited Sweden to bolster declining church activity
00:28:21 The leaders just came for a holiday tour of the UK; their speeches were arrogant and tone-deaf
00:34:24 Is Sister Holland ok?? The troubles with gerontocracy are both ageism and zero qualifications to hold power except “not dying”
00:52:31 Holland’s completely unrelatable speech to the youth, in which he almost lets slip about the Second Anointing
01:09:22 The UK Saints are in pain and really needed the apostles to address something of substance and relevance to their lives
01:35:16 The cultural divide between British members and American leadership
01:45:15 Elder Holland tells the youth, “Don’t you dare ever leave this church! You have to assume we know something you don’t know!”
02:09:18 The dire state of UK Mormondom
02:31:02 A lost opportunity: None of the apostles addressed ministering to the needs of current members or addressing their struggles and concerns in an honest way
02:44:12 Was this “the British Rescue”?
02:51:52 Ballard exhorted the young to men to “wake up,” pick out “one of the beautiful ladies here,” and get married
02:59:55 The rush to have children contradicts the Church’s own teachings about self-sufficiency, while most tithing money goes to benefit white, privileged Americans
03:05:09 Holland claimed that Church leaders “give up everything to help [the youth of Britain]…so you won’t be found wanting on the Day of Judgment,” when any one of them has more wealth and privilege than the kids they’re speaking to
03:10:24 Closing remarks