Mormon Stories Sunday School is a new podcast led by Bible scholar Jared Anderson. You can visit the site at www.MormonSundaySchool.org.
In this first episode, Jared outlines the vision, tone, goals, and proposed content of this Sunday School podcast. There will be a weekly Gospel Doctrine podcast entitled “Engaging Gospel Doctrine”, as well as a “ward library” of expanding content under the title “Excavating Scripture”. He also introduces skills for “close reading” of the scriptures as well as suggests resources, to which you can find links below.
This project models Sunday School teaching that is substantive and engaging while remaining faith-friendly, something that would be at home in a ward environment (though the coolest ward ever). Content will be produced in the following order:
- A weekly Sunday School lesson published about two weeks before the Church schedule
- A series of twelve audio-visual presentations that explore the intersection of key disciplines and topics with religion and Mormonism
- Mormon Stories-style interviews that will focus on the Standard Works and related topics
- A podcast commentary of the Standard Works
Here is a link to Dr. Sophia McClennen’s Close Reading Guide
The “Super Quad” list of books:
- A Study Bible, either Harper Collins or Oxford (Harper Collins has more footnotes, Oxford is slightly easier to read because of font size and layout)
- Grant Hardy’s Readers Edition of the Book of Mormon
- Steven Harper’s Making Sense of the Doctrine & Covenants
- H. Donl Peterson’s Pearl of Great Price: A History and Commentary