As part 1 in a new Mormon Stories Podcast series on navigating mixed-faith marriages, we interview Kirsten and David Udy. The Udy’s story touches on multiple important themes, including:
- Their brief courtship and marriage after returning from full-time LDS missions.
- David’s early experiences with drugs and alcohol that resurfaced during their marriage.
- How David’s “shelf” broke under the weight of doctrinal issues and how he used alcohol to cope.
- Kirsten’s unwavering commitment to the Gospel, including the Word of Wisdom, and how David’s alcohol use created tension in the marriage.
- David’s experience in an LDS 12-step addiction recovery program.
- How Kirsten and David currently navigate their mixed-faith marriage, using love to overcome their obstacles and facing their challenges despite differences in belief.