Part 1) In what ways are LDS policies and teachings on sexuality harmful and helpful?
Part 2) In what ways are the LDS church’s current policies related to child protection and abuse inadequate or harmful or need improvement?
Part 3) What can LDS church members do to help protect children in their local congregations?
Helpful links provided by Tim:
Timothy Birt, MS, LPC, LMFT
*Protect LDS Children and Concerns about Child Interviews in LDS Church (See http://protectldschildren.org/ )
*Recommendations for parents/members to protect their children by advocating with bishops / Stake Presents (See https://invisiblescubit.wordpress.com/2018/02/04/great-suggestions-to-protect-our-children/ )
*Response to “How Mormons (the Church) Approaches Abuse” (Mormon Newsroom resource)
- Church Resource: (See https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/how-mormons-approach-abuse )
- My response: (See http://www.patheos.com/blogs/mormontherapist/2018/02/church-approaches-abuse-professionals-response.html )
*Recommendations for Church Child Protection policies from other Churches:
- Community of Christ: http://www.cofchrist.org/child-protection-training
- United Methodist Church (Safe Sanctuaries) https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/safe-sanctuaries-general-guidelines-starter-documents
- Episcopal Church https://www.cpg.org/linkservid/3F743B4C-06F1-5DFF-86FFB64C8B79DE07/showMeta/0/?label=Model%20Policies%3A%20Preventing%20Children%20and%20Youth%20from%20Abuse
- Presbyterian Church http://www.fpcgreensboro.org/child-and-youth-protection-policy
- United Church of Christ http://www.ucc.org/ministers_safe
- Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake https://www.dioslc.org/offices/office-of-safe-environment/documents-safe-environment/safe-environment-program-manual
- (See https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/counseling-and-therapy-services-auburn-al/210682 )
- (See http://www.mormonmentalhealthassoc.org/mmha-clinical-providers )