In this episode of Mormon Stories we interview Savannah and her mother, Heather. Savannah recently generated international media attention when she came out as gay to her Mormon ward (congregation) in Eagle Mountain, Utah during fast and testimony meeting (May 7, 2017). Towards the end of her testimony, a presiding priesthood authority cut off her microphone and told her to sit down. A friend recorded the video of her live testimony, which is also shared below.
In this episode John interviews both Savannah and Heather in order to provide the context for Savannah’s testimony that day. Questions answered in this episode include:
- What was Savannah’s relationship with the Mormon church prior to her testimony?
- Why did Savannah want to come out as gay to her ward? Why did she write out her testimony beforehand?
- Why did Savannah’s parents “allow” her to bear her testimony in this way?
- Who recorded Savannah’s testimony, and why?
- How did Savannah and her mother feel when the microphone was cut off, and Savannah was asked to sit down by her Mormon priesthood leader?
- Was this event a conspiracy orchestrated by Savannah’s parents?
- What has been the reaction to these events?
- What do Savannah and Heather hope to accomplish by talking about this publicly?
- What would Savannah and Heather like to say to LGBT Mormons and their family/friends?
Special thanks to Heather and Savannah for visiting with the Mormon Stories crew and sharing her beautiful story!
The original video of Savannah’s testimony can be found here: