Mormon Stories Podcast is back for 2020! In this kickoff interview we hear from a kind, thoughtful human named Joe Tippetts. Joe’s story is unique in that:
- He was raised a devout Mormon, checking all the boxes.
- He left the Mormon church several years ago, initially because he couldn’t find God any more in the church.
- He ultimately resigned his membership from the church.
- In 2019 he was happy out of the church, but then felt called by God to return to Mormonism and be baptized.
- Today Joe is an active Latter-day saint, is very progressive in his views regarding LDS church truth claims, and has a focus of building bridges between believers and non-believers (which I love).
- In the final few hours of the interview, Joe explains in detail how he is able to handle regular church attendance as a progressive believer, with full awareness of all the problems with the church’s truth claims, and with some anguish around the ways the church can harm people at times.
If you have an open mind and heart, I think you will enjoy learning about Joe’s thoughts and experiences.
*Note, this interview was filmed over two separate sessions*
WARNING: This interview has been triggering for some ex-Mormons still in the grips of anger, so watch with self-care in mind.
Part 1 – Joe reflects on his decision to leave the LDS Church:
Part 2 – Joe discusses the inspiration he felt to rejoin the LDS Church:
Part 3 – Joe discusses his desire to build bridges between believers and non-believers:
Part 4 – Joe begins to field questions from listeners as follow-up to his previous interview:
Part 5 – Joe talks about the practicalities of returning to full Mormon Church activity:
Part 6 – Joe shares what he considers to be his testimony today: