Sarah Edmondson and Nippy Ames are our guests for this epic Mormon Stories interview where we discuss their escape from the NXIVM cult. We discuss the similarities between NXIVM leader Keith Raniere and Joseph Smith, including secret societies existing within the larger group, and the similar tactics used to control so many people.
Sarah and Nippy share which vulnerabilities led them to become involved in NXIVM and once they were in, what tactics were used to get them to ignore red flags and their own instincts, even as far as Sarah allowing herself to be “branded” with Keith Raniere’s initials on her skin. How does one “wake up” after being willing to go so far?
Sarah and Nippy share their paths to regaining control of their own minds and bodies to face the hard truth about what they used to believe–and how they turn that devastation into a united determination to expose Keith for what he really is to the world. We hope you’ll resonate with Sarah and Nippy’s fascinating and gripping story!
Mormon Stories Thanks Our Generous Donors!
Help us continue to deliver quality content by becoming a donor today:
- One-time or recurring donation through Donorbox
- Support us on Patreon
- Pick “Mormon Stories” as your charity on Amazon Smile or through the Amazon App
PO Box 171085, Salt Lake City, UT 84117
- A Little Bit Culty podcast
- The Vow on HBO
- Scarred: The True Story of How I Escaped NXIVM, the Cult That Bound My Life
- Don’t Call it a Cult: The Shocking Story of Keith Raniere and the Women of NXIVM
- Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
- Holy Hell film
- Wild Wild Country
- Recovering Agency: Lifting the Veil of Mormon Mind Control
“It was my community”. When Sarah said that I cried. Totally sums up the mixed feelings of leaving the church and being free but also losing community. Thank you Sarah and nippy!
Thanks so much for this interview. I enjoyed hearing more of Nippys story. I agree with the above comment about community. There’s just so much loss.
Where do I find the “show notes” that are mentioned in the podcast?
Where can I also find the show notes for this episode?