John Larsen is one of the most influential and well-respected figures within Modern progressive and post-Mormon communities. John (along with his ex-wife Zilpha) was the co-host of Mormon Expression podcast for several years, and he is an occasional host of Sunstone Podcast. He has appeared on Mormon Stories Podcast several times over the past decade.
In today’s episode I bring John Larson back, and we discuss several topics, including:
- Divorce after a faith crisis.
- Raising children with mental illness after a faith crisis.
- Alcohol and drug use after a faith crisis.
- Non-monogamy/swinging after a faith crisis.
- The LDS Church’s response to the COVID pandemic.
- The impact of the QAnon phenomenon within the United States, and within the LDS Church.
- How political polarization within the U.S. is tearing apart some Utah wards and families.
- What it would take to bring John Larsen back as a podcaster.
- The need for kindness within both political and religious discourse, and how challenging this can be.
John Larsen is one of my favorite thinkers in modern Mormonism, and is a fantastic guest. you will not be disappointed with this episode.
Some of the Mormon Expression episodes mention in this episode include:
- Episode 27: The Word of Wisdom for Dummies
- Episode 95a: Doctrine and Covenants 132 for Dummies Part 1
- Episode 95b: Doctrine and Covenants 132 for Dummies part 2
- Episode 275: How to Become an Ex-ex-Mormon
- Episode 276: How to build a transoceanic vessel
John’s past Mormon Stories Podcast episode include:
- Episodes 186-187: “Mormon Stories Broadcasts Live with John Larsen and You!”
- Episode 312: Mormon Expression Interviews John Dehlin
- Episode 531: “John Larsen’s Mormon Expression”
- Episode 1097: “Building Community after Mormonism: A Conversation with John Larsen”