Join us now on Mormon Stories Podcast for an incredibly powerful story on dealing with tragedy with resilience and grace. Jill and Katie Searle are a mother/daughter pair.
Jill Searle’s story (Part 1) includes:
- Being raised LDS and serving a mission.
- Entering into a mixed-orientation marriage as a lesbian woman.
- Having several children.
- Leaving the church, and finding a committed, long term partner (they were married 5 different times…incredible story).
- Allowing and even supporting her children to remain active/faithful LDS as a lesbian, ex-Mormon woman, all while the church was waging war on committed LGBT relationships.
Katie Searle’s story (Part 2) includes:
- Being raised Mormon by an orthodox Mormon father and step-mother, and two lesbian ex-Mormon mothers.
- Marrying her husband, Nathan Williams.
- Co-founding with Nathan a globally successful magazine, Kinfolk.
- Facing the excruciating decision to terminate a pregnancy at 6 months.
- Dealing with the discovery that her husband, Nathan, is gay, while pregnant with their second child.
- Deciding with Nathan to end the marriage.
- Coping with a religious faith crisis through all this.
- Rebuilding a life and raising her daughter, Vi, as an ex-Mormon single mother.
This is an amazing story of responding to tragedy with grace and resilience.