Today a dream came true: My interview with Leah Remini and Mike Rinder – two personal heroes of mine – was released on Scientology: Fair Game Podcast.
I have four very important things to say as I announce this episode:
- I want to acknowledge that it is SUPER hard for LDS Church members to hear The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints described as a cult, not to mention being compared to a cult like the Church of Scientology. No one wants to think of themselves as being in a cult, so I acknowledge how hard this is to hear. In fact, it has taken me 51 years to admit to myself that I was, indeed, raised in a cult. But I was. I was raised in a cult.
- And as difficult as it has been for me to acknowledge/admit this to myself, I am absolutely convinced that the Mormon church meets full cult criteria. My evidence? Where do I begin? Absolute devotion and obedience to a charismatic leader (the Mormon prophet). Bizarre and serial sexual predation and fraud by Mormon church founder Joseph Smith. A truly fraudulent church founding rooted in occult folk magic. Blatantly forged and fraudulent scriptural texts like the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham. MASSIVE and often stifling control over dress, sexual behavior, food and drink intake. Two centuries of church deception regarding its factual history. Anti-science rhetoric. The gaslighting of church members through unethical apologetic tactics. The shunning and constant dehumanization of members who choose to leave the church. The silencing, punishing, and excommunication of its vocal critics. The systemic and blatant subjugation of its women. A history of systemic protection of sexual predators at the expense of victims. The excessive financial demands requiring 10% of income for life, enforced by the threat and practice of excluding members from their own children’s weddings. The massive hoarding of egregious wealth and financial assets, controlled by Mormonism’s elite ruling class. Strange, secret rituals in Mormon temples. The ongoing LGBTQ+ suicides, with virtually no meaningful change in sight. The continued surge of excommunications of Mormon church critics (now at purge-levels in 2021). The list is virtually endless. Here’s my question to you: How is Mormonism NOT a cult?
- Serendipitously, perhaps there is no better example of Mormon church cult behavior than the recent youtube videos that have been released by Kwaku El, Cardon Ellis, and Bradley Witbeck – three Mormons who are in GOOD STANDING with the Mormon church, and who have been directly financed by the Mormon church through non-profits like the More Good Foundation and FairMormon, and whatever other donors independently finance their efforts (we’ll never know). One very obvious trademark of a cult is that they smear their earnest critics publicly with incredibly damaging lies (e.g., “Mike Rinder is a wife beater!”), and that is EXACTLY what the Mormon church is doing THIS VERY WEEK to me via Kwaku El, Cardon Ellis, and Brad WItbeck (along with an assist from Kate Kelly). I cannot help but note the beautify irony that in Scientology, the tactic of smearing vocal critics is called “Fair Gaming” – and that the VERY SAME WEEK that the Mormon church is in full “Fair Game” mode attacking and smearing me with verifiable lies on YouTube – that my episode on Scientology: Fair Game podcast is released. Thank you Ex-Mormon God ❤️. Note to the Mormon Church: Every day that you allow these lying and smearing YouTube videos to remain up – hosted by Mormons in good standing, directly financed by the Mormon church through non-profits like the More Good Foundation and FairMormon (as I was directly informed by a former FAIRMormon board member) – is another day that you continue to show yourself as the cult that you are. You could stop these lying and smearing videos any second that you wanted to. And you know it.
- I am incredibly grateful to Leah and Mike for having me on their podcast, and for all of my friends and listeners over the years who have encouraged Leah and Mike to interview me after watching Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief and Leah Remini: Scientology & the Aftermath.
In closing, I have two quick favors to ask of you:
- If you are willing, please show your gratitude and support of Leah and Mike by listening to and sharing this podcast episode far and wide, so that more and more people can be awakened to the ongoing cult tactics of the Mormon church.
- As the Mormon church continues to “Fair Game” (i.e. smear) its earnest critics (e.g., me, Jeremy Runnells, Sam Young, Natasha Helfer), I would like to ask each of you to please share this post in response to these constant smears. I believe that it is vitally important that we not let the Mormon church get away with this sort of behavior any longer.
My sincere hope is that some day, the Mormon church can and will stop acting like a cult. But it has a long, long way to go.
Fortunately, me and my friends will not stop until the church makes it right.
More exciting things are in the works, so please stay tuned!!!!