1120-1123: The Purves Family: How a Davis, CA Bishop and his Family Navigate(d) a Mormon Faith Crisis
June 6, 2019
For this epic episode of Mormon Stories Podcast, we travel to Davis, California to visit with the Purves family as they share their unique experience with a Mormon Faith Crisis. This interview continues our series exploring how a Mormon bishop, his wife, and their family could end up experiencing a Mormon Faith Crisis.
In this interview we cover:
– The goodness that Mormonism brought Scott Purves and Joanna Rudd Purves as youth, including a nurturing community and a sense of purpose
– Scott and Joanna’s decision to raise their family in orthodox Mormonism, culminating in the calling of Scott as Bishop in Davis, California (his home ward).
– The rewards and challenges of serving as a Bishop, and how the demanding service impacted Joanna and the rest of the family. This included several very challenging interactions with Scott’s then stake president.
– What made a Mormon Bishop (and his wife) question and then lose his/her testimony?
– What happens when a Mormon Bishop’s daughter comes out as lesbian while at BYU, and how does the family handle this?
– How did the Purves family rebuild and regroup to find joy and fulfillment outside of Mormon orthodoxy?