Join us today on Mormon Stories as we interview both Sean and Crystal Escobar to learn about their faith journey out of Mormonism. Sean recently made national news when he revealed a recording he made as he confronted his abuser as a child, Sterling Van Wagenen—co-founder of the Sundance Film Festival and director of many LDS Church-produced films, including the films shown in LDS temples.
This portion of the interview focuses on Sean and Crystal’s faith journey and will include themes such as:
- Their Mormon background including their experiences in the church as youth and as missionaries
- How guilt and shame from transgressions as a youth impacted Sean’s mission and outlook on life
- How Sean and Crystal’s difficult experiences with the repentance process affected their early marriage
- How discovering a calling Sean had received was uninspired by his priesthood leader greatly shook his faith
- How Crystal’s experience with Mormon Stories helped her be more empathetic towards Sean’s struggles with his faith and church leadership
- How leaving the LDS Church has caused a new awakening in their marriage and family as they reevaluate their relationship, their parenting, and their new moral code for living
…and so much more.
Part 1 – Sean and Crystal provide their Mormon background up until and including their LDS missions:
Part 2 – Sean and Crystal talk about their early marriage, and how the guilt and shame of earlier transgressions impacted their relationship and faith:
Part 3 – Sean and Crystal describe how cracks formed in their faith:
Part 4 – Sean and Crystal describe how they have learned to navigate a new life without the Mormon Church: