As part of our series on meetings with Mormon General Authorities, we interview Scott Duke. Scott met with Elder Christoffel Golden of the Seventy November 15, 2012.
In this episode, Scott recounts:
- His LDS mission experience and the troubling historical issues he put on his “shelf”
- His confusion about the role of personal revelation within the framework of the Mormon Church
- How he “came out” about his faith crisis to his wife and family
- How he landed an opportunity to meet with a General Authority of the Church as a last effort to restore faith
- The events and impressions of the meeting with Elder Golden
- The letter he wrote to Dieter F. Uchtdorf and the subsequent response
- The emotional fallout and impact on his family that resulted from his non-belief
We thank Scott for sharing his emotional story as it highlights the impact a religious transition can have on the life of believers and non-believers alike.