This event, organized by Kate Kelly, was held in New York City on Saturday, April 25th, 6:30pm. Billed as “A Curated Revue of Hilarious Tales from Mormondom,” it entailed a delightful evening of Mormon (and post-Mormon) storytelling and humor.
- Sean Carter: Harvard Law graduate and professional legal humorist (www.lawhumorist.com). Sean is the author of the first-ever comedic legal treatise – “If It Does Not Fit, Must You Acquit?: Your Humorous Guide to the Law.” His syndicated legal humor column has appeared in general circulation newspapers in more than 30 states. Sean was baptized into the Mormon Church in May, 2011.
- Jill Wagner: High school Spanish teacher and Story League Legend whose family comes from the Mormon colonies in Juarez, Mexico http://www.storyleague.org/legends/jill/.
- Steven Puente: Licensed social worker practicing in a methadone clinic in Bronx, NY. Steven is a featured performer at The Moth (http://themoth.org/posts/storytellers/steven-puente), and Steven was featured in a New York Times story about young, hip Mormons (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/fashion/young-mormons-find-ways-to-be-hip.html).
- Troy Williams: Returned missionary, Executive Director of Equality Utah and unofficial ‘gay Mayor of Salt Lake City.’ Troy worked at 90.9 FM KRCL for 10 years and was the executive producer and host of RadioActive. In 2009 he co-wrote the one-woman show, The Passion of Sister Dottie S. Dixon, and was also the producer on the TLC original series Breaking the Faith.
- Sara Burlingame: Faith organizer at the Human Rights Campaign, from Cheyenne, Wyoming and spends more time investing in the Mormon community than any never-mo…EVER! Sara has never been a Mormon, but she has been an artisan bread baker, a poet, a Bahai and an enthusiastic casserole consumer. She is a perma-blogger at Feminist Mormon Housewives, among other fabulous endeavors.
- Elna Baker: writer and performer of humorous stories. Her stories have been featured on radio programs such as NPR’s This American Life, The Moth, BBC Radio 4 and Studio 360. Author of The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: A Memoir.