Jared and his wife Katrina live in Salt Lake City with their five children: Olivia (11), Isaac (9), Grace (7), Asher (2) and Miriam (8 months). Jared is an active member and currently serves in the ward Sunday School Presidency.
This interview is broken into five parts:
- Part 1: Introduction. Jared discusses the meaning of New Testament scholarship and an academic viewpoint of scripture, how we know what we know including what happened in the past, and the difference between academic and faith perspectives. Jared begins an overview of the New Testament books from a scholarly perspective in chronological order — 1 Thessalonians through Galatians.
- Part 2: Scholarly overview of the New Testament – Philemon through the Gospel of Mark
- Part 3: Scholarly overview of the New Testament – Gospel of Matthew through Titus
- Part 4: Scholarly overview of the New Testament books – Gospel of John through 2 Peter. Jared also discusses who Jesus was as a historical figure, the evidence for his existence, and how we can determine what he likely said and did. Jared also gives an overview of the formation, transmission and translation of the Bible we read today.
- Part 5: Discussion of Jared’s personal journey, relationship to Mormonism and academia, and he explains how he integrates his academic views with his faith.